2017 Design Day Quick Facts

Design Day Quick Facts, including judges and award info (text description below)

105 Projects at Design Day

At Engineering Design Day 2017, 73 percent of the teams are interdisciplinary, featuring students from several different undergraduate majors. The remaining 27 percent of the projects are specific to individual majors at the College of Engineering, such as civil engineering and chemical engineering. Out of the 100-plus projects, 64 percent are sponsored by industry and 36 percent are supported by departments or units at the University of Arizona.

2017 Industry Sector Project Highlights

Throughout the year, student teams design, build and test tools and technologies for their senior capstone projects in areas ranging from aerospace to electronics to energy to medicine. The breakdown by sector for the 100-plus projects for Design Day 2017 include:

  • 22 biomedical projects
  • 19 aerospace projects
  • 9 public works projects
  • 15 optical science projects
  • 20 environmental projects

Annual Projects at Engineering Design Day

The UA Engineering Design Program has grown significantly since its inception 15 years ago, and Design Day gets bigger each year. In 2011, the event featured 60 student projects; in 2017, there are 105. Projects sponsored by faculty researchers and University units have seen notable increases in the last three years.

Engineering Design Day 2017 Statistics

Design Day 2017 is the culmination of a year-long effort by University of Arizona faculty and staff, 500-plus senior engineering students and 60-plus UA and corporate sponsors. This year, over 100 experienced industry professionals and 50-plus UA alumni will help judge the 100-plus projects competing for more than 24 sponsor awards and more than $25,000 in cash prizes.

Download the Design Day App!

Available now for iOS and Android.

App Store logo

Google Play logo